Check out a few stores in town and you will come across tons of skincare products in different shapes and forms. If you are from the skincare industry then you probably know that the latest entry in the world of skincare is activated charcoal. Although coal products have been in use in skin care lines for a long time, recent focus on holistic health and all-natural ingredients has shifted the focus entirely on charcoal. Even most of the existing skincare products have been rebranded to put importance on this powerful ingredient. In this modern era, you will find various products created around the coal ingredient.
Although to a novice this may appear as nothing but a marketing hype, the fact that activated charcoal is rather beneficial to your skin cannot be denied. Although the buzz is going around at full speed, do not let the marketing craze get to you. Nonetheless, these products certainly deserve the praises they get from users.
Information Every Informed Buyer Should Know When Looking For a Charcoal Mask
Charcoal can prove to be rather beneficial when used as a skincare ingredient. Here are some of these benefits discussed for your knowledge.
- Charcoal happens to be a natural magnet for all types of toxins. Whether you apply a charcoal peel off mask or an ordinary charcoal mask to your face, it can easily and naturally pull out imperfections and dirt and leave behind a glowing, fresh skin.
- When it comes to acne, toxins can often prove to be a contributing factor. Thus, using a charcoal face mask or any other product that contains charcoal can help treat under-the-skin acne problems and causes.
- You may certainly use other products to draw out all types of toxins from your skin. However, using an activated charcoal mask will help you get a similar result, but in a natural way. Using charcoal will certainly not expose your complexion to all types of additional chemicals.
- Do you suffer from oily skin? Using one of the best charcoal masks can help you with this skin problem. It has been proved that charcoal is rather effective when it comes to removing any excess oil from your skin. As a result of this any future possibilities of acne breakouts can be reduced and the pores on your skin also gets tightened in a single step.
- Since charcoal tightens all the skin pores, whether you use a DIY charcoal mask or any branded product such as Mary Kay charcoal mask, it will natural reduce the possibilities of any future instances of blackheads. If you use a strong charcoal mask DIY, it may even pull out all the blackheads from your skin.
These are just a handful of reasons that support the use of a charcoal based product. These reasons will also give you an idea as to why this review has a checklist of goods. Since there are numerous charcoal products filling up shelves at various stores, choosing the right one may sometimes pose a major problem.
Best Charcoal Masks
Freeman Charcoal and Black Sugar Polish Mask
Do you have a sensitive skin? Then using the Freeman Charcoal and Black Sugar Polish Mask will be a good option for you. Although the name may give you the impression that it will be harsh on sensitive skin, it is not so in reality. The factor that differentiates this product with other charcoal masks is the presence of black sugar. You will have to use it a few times in order to get used to the texture of the mask. Although some users describe the texture as sticky or dusty, the grit actually helps the product to work both as a mask and a scrub.
Once you have completed applying the mask on your face, the charcoal will easily pull out the excess oil, toxins, and other skin impurities while it dries up. It just takes about 5 minutes for the mask to dry up and then it acts as a scrub in order to get rid of the dead skin from your face along with blackheads. The end result will be a bright and clear skin.
Simply apply the mask on a slightly damp skin and let it dry. Then, scrub off the mask with warm water by gently massaging on your skin in circular motions. This will allow the black sugar to get rid of dead skin cells and dirt.
Pros and Cons
- The Freeman Charcoal and Black Sugar Polish Mask is especially good if you wish to use a black charcoal mask that does not take ages to dry.
- This skin care product also effectively exfoliates your skin and gets rid of blackheads very easily.
- When you apply the product it may prove to be messy.
- It tends to cause skin irritations.
- The Freeman Charcoal and Black Sugar Polish Mask is also greasy in nature.
Yes To Tomatoes Detoxifying Cleanser
You will find a wide array of skin care products under the product line of “Yes To”. This will range from shampoos to hand lotions along with this facial cleanser that contains charcoal. The Yes to Tomatoes Detoxifying Cleanser was especially designed for those of you who often suffer from acne related problems. It contains 1% salicylic acid that is helpful in reducing acne breakouts. It also provides the detoxifying effects of the charcoal.
However, it is good for you to note that this product is not good enough to be used as a medical treatment. Nonetheless, the gentleness of this cleanser makes it possible for users to use it every day. The jojoba beads in this product, which are easily biodegradable, provide the exfoliating effects on your skin.
Simply apply the cleanser on your face with warm water and lather in small circular motions. This will help you take proper advantage of the exfoliating effects of the product. Once done, rinse it again with warm water and gently pat your face dry.
Pros and Cons
- The Yes to Tomatoes Detoxifying Cleanser has an exfoliating effect on your skin.
- The cleanser is made to treat minor acne problems.
- It contains 1% salicylic acid that is rather useful in reducing acne breakouts.
- The product is quite gentle and you can safely use it on a daily basis.
- The beads are biodegradable.
- There are some users who claim that the product is very harsh on the skin.
- The smell also seems artificial.-It tends to foam a lot.
Glamglow Supermud Mask
The best part about the Glamglow Supermud Mask is that it is designed with the help of an advanced clearing formula that is well-equipped to restore, cleanse, as well as, refresh your skin in one single treatment. The manufacturer does make various radical claims about this product. It states that almost 94% of the total users have witnessed clearer skin after a single use of this product.
Although it may seem or sound crazy to you, your doubt will reduce once you personally witness the mask removing blackheads from your facial skin. There are several user reviews to back this statement. They have said that they have seen several small black dots appear on the cover of the mask once it dried up.
However, this product may prove to be rather harsh if you have an exceptionally sensitive or a dry skin. In order to use it, apply the mask on clean and dry skin in a very thin layer. Allow it to rest till it dries up. Get rid of the mask with warm water to see the positive results.
Pros and Cons
- The Glamglow Supermud Mask helps to remove blackheads from your skin.
- This product contains glycolic acid that is useful to reverse sun damage to your skin.
- It also contains salicylic acid that is important to treat acne.
- The product also contains lactic acid that is important to improve skin collagen production and skin tone.
- If you have a sensitive or dry skin then this product may prove to be very harsh.
- It is rather expensive.
Garnier SkinActive+ Purifying Cleansing Towelettes
There are many users who simply love the Garnier SkinActive+ Purifying Cleansing Towelettes. One of the primary reasons behind the growing popularity of this product is the fact that it is a no-fuss makeup remover and saves a lot of time at night before you go to bed. There are also some users who prefer to use this product in-between workout routines or other activities.
It is true that wipes are one of the highly convenient skin care product available at stores. You can carry them while travelling and are one step solution to getting rid of makeup and cleansing your face. No need to pull your hair back in order to do the same. Due to the presence of charcoal in the Garnier SkinActive+ Purifying Cleansing Towelettes, it not just helps to remove makeup and cleanse your face, it also effectively pulls out dirt from the pores on your facial skin and reduce the possibility of oil buildup on your skin.
Using wipes is one of the best options for those of you who feel extremely tired once returning home from work. The simplest way to use wipes is to remove one from the pack and wipe away makeup, dirt, oils, and impurities.
Pros and Cons
- The Garnier SkinActive+ Purifying Cleansing Towelettes can easily be used while on the move.
- It basically helps to remove your makeup and cleanse your face in one single step.
- The product is absolutely non-greasy.
- It has a fresh smell to it.
- There are some users who do not appreciate the feel of the wipes on their face.
Biore Deep Charcoal Cleanser
If you suffer from excessive dry or sensitive skin, then using the Biore Deep Charcoal Cleanser is strictly prohibited. In such cases, using any charcoal product is not a good idea, since they usually contain several active ingredients, which can easily give rise to skin irritations and excessive dryness.
However, if your skin is not too dry or sensitive, using the Biore Deep Charcoal Cleanser will help you a lot. It has sufficient cleansing power of activated charcoal to help pull out dirt and clean your skin properly. There are several drugstore brands that usually get a reputation as far as skin care is concerned. However, if you are looking for a gentle skin care product without burning a hole in your pocket, then the Biore Deep Charcoal Cleanser will be a good option.
Simply wet your face and apply the cleanser on the skin. Gently massage till it lathers up and rinse it off with warm water. You will feel very fresh once you rinse off the lather.
Pros and Cons
- The Biore Deep Charcoal Cleanser is especially made for dry and sensitive skin.
- It happens to be a great exfoliating product.
- There are some active ingredents in the Biore Deep Charcoal Cleanser that can cause excessive drying or irritation.
Herbivore Botanicals Bamboo Charcoal Cleansing Soap Bar
First things first, Herbivore Botanicals has included a few additional ingredients in their cleaning bar to boost the cleansing properties. One of them is tea tree oil that contains antibacterial properties, which is useful in reducing skin infections and killing bacteria. Another ingredient is bergamot oil, which has a citrus like smell. This oil, along with bamboo charcoal, helps to reduce the natural oil production of your skin. You will also find coconut oil in the list of ingredients that help to balance the drying effects of charcoal and make your skin smooth and soft.
The best part about this bar is that you can easily use it on other parts of your body to treat acne. Most of you experience acne breakouts on your shoulders, chest, as well as your back along with your face. There are several reasons that give rise to acne breakouts such as reactions to a new shampoo, stress, and also returning home in sweaty workout clothes. However, there are several users who claim that after a week of using this bar their acne breakouts practically vanished.
When it comes to using this product, all you need to do is lather it up on your hands or a cloth. Apply on your body and face and later rinse it off with warm water.
Pros and Cons
- The Herbivore Botanicals Bamboo Charcoal Cleansing Soap Bar effectively treats acne.
- This bar contains tea tree oil that is rather useful when it comes to killing skin bacteria and also reducing various skin infections.
- It also contains bergamot oil, which helps to reduce the natural oil production of your skin.
- Your skin will stay smooth and soft due to the presence of coconut oil in the bar.
- Compared to the size of the product, the price seems a bit expensive.
- In some cases the product may cause acne breakouts but several users have said that after using it for a week their breakouts had vanished.
Shamanuti Activated Charcoal Cleanser
The skin care benefits of activated charcoal is not just meant for your face. It can also prove beneficial for your entire body. This is highly important for those of you who suffer from acne breakouts on other regions of your body apart from the face such as your back, chest, and shoulders. This is where the Shamanuti Activated Charcoal Cleanser scores above the rest of the competitors.
Apart from pulling out harmful toxins and controlling the natural oil production of your skin, the Shamanuti Activated Charcoal Cleanser can also help your skin remain healthy and happy due to the presence of tea tree oil and maple sugar, which are natural antibacterial and gentle exfoliating agents. Your skin also gets adequate level of protection from sun damage due to the cranberry oil. This highly important since your skin is always exposed to the sun when you go out.
Simply combine a small amount of the product with some water on your hand and lather it onto your skin. Let it set in for a couple of minutes and then rinse it off.
Pros and Cons
- The Shamanuti Activated Charcoal Cleanser is ideally suited for sensitive and acne-prone skin types.
- It gently exfoliates your skin due to the presence of maple sugar.
- It also contains tea tree oil that acts as a natural antibacterial agent.
- The cranberry oil in the Shamanuti Activated Charcoal Cleanser protects your skin from sun damage.
- It may sometimes cause acne breakouts.
Shills Purifying Black Peel-Off Mask
The Shills Purifying Black Peel-Off Mask acts as a two-in-one skin care product. First of all it cleanses the pores on your skin and secondly, it gets rid of all the blackheads, as well. There are several minerals and vitamins in the product that are quite important for the health of your skin. These essential nutrients also allow your skin to feel nourished all the time.
Some of the natural ingredients included in the product include rosemary and grapefruit oil. These contain properties that can easily brighten your skin and also even out your natural skin tone. Apply a thick layer of the mask on your skin and let it dry for 20 to 30 minutes. Once it has dried up, start peeling it off from the chin.
Pros and Cons
- The Shills Purifying Black Peel-Off Mask is quite helpful in removing blackheads.
- It cleanses the pores and also detoxifies the skin.
- The price of the product is well within the range of many.
- The mask tends to adhere to the skin pretty strongly which may make the task of peeling it off quite difficult.
Secret Key Blackout Pore Peel Off Mask
The Secret Key Blackout Pore Peel-off Mask is designed to treat blackheads and it contains ingredients such as kaolin clay, volcanic ash, witch hazel, and fruit extracts. All of these ingredients, along with active charcoal powder, gets to the root cause of blackheads and gets rid of it effectively.
It is also useful in getting rid of excel oil form your skin and removing dead skin and dirt effectively. Apply the product on your face after washing. Let it dry for 15 to 20 minutes and clean off with warm water.
Pros and Cons
- It is suitable for sensitive skin.
- It is an easy-to-apply face mask.
- It tends to turn hard after drying up and claying up like other masks.
Origins Clear Improvement Exfoliating Cleansing Powder
This Origins charcoal mask is indeed a powder. In order to use it on your face, you need to mix the powder into a cleanser. This process may seem too tedious for you. However, there are several reasons behind the popularity of this product amongst users. First of all, you can use this product both as a face mask and as a cleanser. This is largely dependent on the amount of water you use. Adding a little bit of water will make it feel like clay and can be used as a mask. Add some more water and you get an exfoliating cleanser.
If you add some more water to the mixture, you will get a regular bubbly soap. Since this product is basically a powder instead of a gel or a liquid, you can easily store it in your carry-on luggage while flying somewhere.
When you wish to use the powder, simply mix it with warm water. Remember to put enough water as per your need, whether you wish to use it as a mask or a cleanser or soap. If used as a mask, do apply a thick layer on your face and let it dry. Get rid of the mask with a warm washcloth.
Pros and Cons
- The Origins Clear Improvement Exfoliating Cleansing Powder is approved by airlines to be used as carry-on luggage.
- It is very flexible to suit your daily needs.
- When you try to mix the powder into any cleanser, it may prove to be a bit of a problem for you.
You will come across tons of charcoal products at stores. However, in order to choose the right one, you need to understand your own requirements. Some are effective in getting of acne, some are useful in removing blackheads, and some are good for both. It is also essential to understand your skin type before you choose the right charcoal product to use on your skin.